Saturday, January 26, 2008

Bar Animation Blocking Update

Here is an update of the blocking of the first character utilizing the great suggestions offered to me by Erik Westlund (Thank you!). We had a great discussion about how what is often lacking in animation is texture; The peaks and valleys of the movement within the animation. Its what makes the animation interesting. Its breaking up the rhythm so things arent all happening on the same beats-its varying the size of poses to add emphasis to various parts. It really should be the 13th principle of animation.

My original blocking was lacking some of this texture at the beginning and end. It had a good middle but the bookends were boring. In a good sandwhich everything tastes good, including the bread; my bread was boring, only the meat was interesting.
Hopefully this version remedies that a bit.

Comments and critiques are welcome!

1 comment:

Erik Westlund said...

keep going. Of course I like the changes... but mostly I'm excited to see how this sequence shapes up.

I'll repeat what I said to you in person. The poses are strong. If some are too strong then maybe you can back off a little but I think it is better to keep pushing your poses for now.

If there is anything that I think you could tame a little it would be the face/mouth positions at the end. He is getting closer too us and the intensity of the audio is dropping slightly. It should seem to us that he is loosing interest in this "jerk" at the bar.

Can't wait to see how other people respond to this setup.

Keep it up - looking good so far.